Practical driving test tips
Try a practical driving test before the real thing
The more you prepare yourself for your driving test the more confident you'll be - and less likely to make mistakes. Try these driving test tips a few times before you sign-up for the real thing.
Each time you drive, can you:
- Show confidence in using the controls of the car
- Leave the kerb safely - even in traffic
- Perform a hill start without rolling back
- Travel at suitable speeds for the conditions
- Maintain a safe gap between you and other vehicles
- Have mirrors adjusted correctly
- Indicate sufficiently before turning or merging
- Check blind spots before changing lanes
- Brake and (if in a manual) change gears smoothly
- Show good judgment at intersections
- Stay in the correct lane/position on the road when turning
- Scan ahead and take suitable action in unexpected situations
- Stop your car smoothly one metre before the line at STOP signs and traffic lights
- Perform a reverse parallel park, a straight line reverse, angle park and a 3 point turn
- Drive without drifting out of the lane?
If you're unsure about your driving test, it can be helpful to get a professional instructor to put you through the paces and give you some practical driving test tips first.