Join the leading advocacy group for Motorist's since 1920.

Current Vacancies

Become an NRMA Safer Driving School Instructor – A career where you can make a difference!

Interested in Road Safety Education & Driver Education, then why not join our highly skilled team of driving instructors and learn how to teach the true meaning of independent driving. Becoming a driving instructor gives you the opportunity to make a real difference in people's lives every day.

Our driving instructors are chosen not only for their skills as professional instructors but also for their enormous passion for educating all road users on the importance of road safety.

Becoming a driving instructor with NRMA Safer Driving School entitles you to regular re-training programs to ensure you are fully abreast with any changes to the industry and bring you up to date with modern educational techniques. This ensures all our driving instructors are up to the quality standards of being part of the NRMA Safer Driving School team.

How to become an NRMA Driving Instructor

Below is all the information you'll need to get you started.

To become an NRMA instructor in NSW or the ACT, you must hold an Instructor Licence and undertake an application interview process. The Instructor Licence is provided by the Roads and Maritime Services in NSW or the Road Transport Authority in the ACT and requires a series of completed documents, checks and tests.

The NRMA application process will differ according to whether you're a licensed or unlicensed driving instructor.

Licensed Driving Instructors

You won't be required to go through the process described below however, you will be required to undertake additional training to meet NRMA Safer Driving School's quality standards.

To become one of NRMA's Driving Instructors

1. In NSW you will be required to obtain a Letter of Eligibility (if you don't have an existing Driving Instructor Licence). You must obtain a Letter of Eligibility from the RTA before applying for an NRMA Driving Instructor position.

The RTA Letter of Eligibility will require you to complete a series of documents, checks and tests. For more details visit the Roads and Maritime Services Website.

In the ACT you will be required to complete an application that includes a Police Character Check and a Health Assessment. For more details visit the Road Transport Authority Website.

2. Submit your resume. The second step is to apply for an NRMA Driving Instructor's position. Simply email your cover letter and resume (please indicate whether you're a licensed Driving Instructor) to

3. Undergo an interview. If you have the requisite skills and experience, you may be contacted for an interview with NRMA Safer Driving School management. A second interview may also take place with the Franchise Driving School.

In NSW as part of this process, you will also need to take a practical driving assessment and complete a Working With Children Check (the latter is a legislative requirement).

4. Complete the Instructor Training Course. You must complete an Instructor Training Course and pass Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics with an approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO). This is also a legislative requirement.

To become qualified in the ACT you are required to complete the assessment modules 'Plan and Organise Assessment' and 'Assess Competence'. These modules are not required in NSW.

The NRMA Driving Instructor course will be offered to you if you successfully complete the interview process. The course with the NRMA approved RTO provider includes a combination of theory and practical assessments.

This course is full time and uses competency based training techniques. Depending on your progress you can usually expect the course to be conducted over 2 weeks.

Once you've completed your course including your Impart Knowledge Test and paid your licence fees, you will receive a Driving Instructors Licence.

5. Induction. Lastly, you will need to take a formal Induction with NRMA. If you are a Licensed Driving Instructor, this process will only take 2 days. If you are an Unlicensed Driving Instructor, you will need to do a longer formal Induction, which is part of the Instructor Training Course.


Book a driving lesson with NRMA Safer Driving School